This blog has been produced to document my promotional package for my horror trailer and the trailer itself. It also includes all of my research and planning into the project, in order for the trailer to appeal to my chosen target audience. Enjoy!

Friday 16 March 2012

Ideas For Make-Up

Katie/Demon

When deciding how I should approach the look of Katie as a 'ghost/demon', I brainstormed all of the different types of special effects and masks that I could use when it came to filming and editing. I also found inspiration from existing movies such as Paranormal activity, Grave Encounters and The Crazies (although it is considered part of the Zombie sub-genre, the make-up and effects really impressed me). There was also the decision pre-production of whether or not I should include more elements of the slasher genre within my trailer as I like the idea of practising my body painting skills on the character of Katie. My cousin who is also a professional make-up artist took a course on body painting and special effects and suggested that we test out different looks on Lauren (who plays Katie) before filming.

My 'Slasher' look for 'Katie'



Completed in just over three and a half hours, 'Katie's slasher make up and costume composed of a plain grey cardigan, black leggings and a smile black sleeveless t-shirt and ALOT of patience. Just observing the attention to detail and the specific make-up used was extraordinary, and also the amount of 'stiches' applied was enough to make me squirm!

After much consideration I decided to go with the much less complicated and time consuming option of applying simple pale and gothic make up on Lauren as setting up and attempting to re-create the slasher look would heavily delay filming, there is also the problem that 'night vision' effects may not do this fantastic piece of art any justice. Therefore I have decided to edit much of 'Katie's make-up post filming as I would like hopefully achieve the 'demon' look as seen in this scene of Jennifer's Body.


Holly and Claire

With regards for my other two female actors, I decided that they should reflect the everyday look of normal students. Being the same age as the characters they were playing, I had asked them to just apply their everyday natural make-up as I didnt want their heavy make-up to distract from anything else on screen or that would interferre with the look of the crew members they were portraying. I had also visited a couple of youtube tutorials on how to apply light natural make-up based on the character of Bella Swan from the Twilight series as I feel she truly reflects the look of an everyday teenager.

Some of the clips from a Youtube Make-Up Tutorial 






No comments:

Post a Comment