This blog has been produced to document my promotional package for my horror trailer and the trailer itself. It also includes all of my research and planning into the project, in order for the trailer to appeal to my chosen target audience. Enjoy!

Friday 16 March 2012

Ideas For Props

I was slightly unsure as to which types of props I would include within my film trailer as they all have to compliment to the story and play a significant role in establishing what is goimg on in a scene. Whereas in slasher horrors, the killer usually punishes his victums with gruesome attacks and violent murders, supernatural horrors rely on the invasion of the audiences mind in order to truly scare them. Ghosts/demons/spirits do not posess the weapons adopted by other genres, which is what makes them so appealing - the true terror lies with the antagonist controlling the mind of the protagonist.

If I were to consider the use of props for the benefit of mise-en-scene they would probably be:

A Suitcase


Used by Katie in th opening scene to establish her new life at University, it could also be a symbol of her indpendence.

Tea Mugs


Used by the murderous roommate to kill Katie, One idea is that she will strategically place the poison/drug in the mug disguised as tea for Katie to drink it. This is also a link to my target audience as they love nothing more than to wake up to a nice hot tea or coffee, perhaps not with the same resuts as Katie!

Magazines

 http://www.pressgazette.co.uk/Pictures/web/d/v/j/More_cover_september_08.jpg

http://www.livelikeavip.com/wp-content/uploads/Heat-Cover-29th-May-4th-June.jpg 

As the trailer is set in a studen accomodation I wanted to add touches that would also reflect my target audience and what they would usually read in their spare time. An idea I came up with for my trailer is to have the killer roommate casually reading the magazine just after she has poisoned Katie to demonstare how twisted her chracter is that she would carry on reading as if nothing has happened. 

Mobile Phone

http://st2.gsmarena.com/vv/pics/blackberry/blackberry-bold-9780-2-white.jpg

One scene which I had in mind was to have Katies character glance down at her phone to check what time it is after a night out of heavy partying. It would add an element of humour and empathy to the scene as my target audience would have possivly been in that situation at some point during University. However as the narrative is set 15 years ago and mobile phones were still something of a growing trend I decided to cut this idea as it would not match the time in which the narrative would take place.

No comments:

Post a Comment