This blog has been produced to document my promotional package for my horror trailer and the trailer itself. It also includes all of my research and planning into the project, in order for the trailer to appeal to my chosen target audience. Enjoy!

Monday 5 December 2011

Target Audience Profile

This post sees the formation of a Target Audience Profile; this is necessary in terms of creating an image and literary account of my potential target market.
I have decided to use the genre of supernatural horror, so I believe that the general age of my TA would range from the 18-24. Seeing as how my trailer centres around the death of a University, students will be my main target market as they'll be able to relate to the world of the student in the narrative. The gender of the genre consists of both male and female, however I would say that eve though films of a supernatural nature tend to be more directed towards female audiences, my trailer will be aimed at a larger male audience. Slasher films tend to usually appeal more to men as they relish in the bloods, guts and gore they see on screen, whereas women like to form an emotional bond with the characters. Having said that, seeing as how I  have decided to add elements of both genre, I hope to appeal to both genders as I have included elements which will satisfy both tastes.


If I were to describe the most common example of my target audience, they are likely to be fun loving, hard working University students, who enjoy nothing more than a good old horror flick. As they are between the ages of 18-24 they are emmersed in the University culture and take full advantages of their perks as young adolescents. If they are not at University they belong to a career that requires creativity, imagination and something that allows them to utilise skills they may have gained whilst at higher education. I would classify the TA’s marital status as ‘in a relationship’; I can imagine a female audience who uses film to relax and spend time with their boyfriends, taking an opportunity to unwind and escape the stresses and strains of real life. My male target audience uses horror films as a form of bonding between him and his friends. If my target audience own a flat or live in their halls of residence, they may watch a horror film amongst their friends as a way of entertainment and social interaction. This satisfies Blumer and Katz Uses and Gratifications theory in which they argue that members of the audience are not passive but take an active role in interpreting and integrating media into their own lives. The theory also holds that audiences are responsible for choosing media to meet their needs

To depict an image of the TA’s character and personality: They are outgoing, adventerous beings who are open-minded and perceptive. They believe in the controversial and the contentious. They are the type of individuals who perhaps have had a paranormal experience, if not; they certainly enjoy hearing stories about such things. They dont take themselves or life too seriously and they are know to be impulsive and thrill seeking. The TA are carefree and thrive on fear, love the suspense of mystery and are seduced by the deliciousness of being scared. My chosen target audience would love to arrange a movie night indoors or possibly to the cinema and que up to see the latest horror release as they thrive on the intense and horrifying scenes.

As avid users of digital media, they thrive on the latest gadjets and equipment which is reflected in their choice of film. They enjoy supernatural horrors such as Paranormal Activity, Grave Encounters and The Unborn, while also relishing in teen slasher horrors such as Sorority Row, Scream and Final Destination.They are able to appreciate the different genres of horror and are particulary snobby about the narrative - aslong as its scary, they will enjoy! They would be a fan of zombie films aswell such as The Crazies, 28 Days later and Dawn Of The Dead.


Music that my target audience will enjoy... 

 The Vaccines
 Ed Sheeran

 Kings Of Leon

Rizzle Kicks

http://www.100xr.com/artists/T/Two_Door_Cinema_Club/Two.Door.Cinema.Club.jpg
Two Door Cinema Club

 
David Guetta

No comments:

Post a Comment